The Torre pendente di Pisa, or Leaning Tower of Pisa
The Torre pendente di Pisa, or Leaning Tower of Pisa, re-opened to the public December 15th in 2001.
Preservation construction was started to strengthen the edifice's structure, and slightly rectify the angle at which the tower was leaning.
After eleven years of renovation, the roughly 56m tall tower went from leaning at an angle of 5.5 degrees to 3.9 degrees. While this change seems very insignificant, a total of 70 tons of soil were dug out, and the tower (bell tower, really, which is part of the city's cathedral) was declared to be stable for another 200 years.
The Leaning Tower of Pisa was originally constructed over 199 years, from 1173 to 1372.