The altar of the church on the grounds of the Saint Sarkis Monastery
The altar of the church on the grounds of the Saint Sarkis Monastery (Source: Aram Sahagian, Heroic Ourfa and Her Armenian Offspring, Beirut, 1955)
Another miraculous act was thought to be linked to the well. This one occurred during the years of Arab domination in the region. It was said that the night sentry of the Arab forces stationed in the fort of Ourfa saw a light, emitting from within the well. He raised the alarm, and a squad was dispatched to investigate. The squad soon reported that three rays of light, converging inside the well, were responsible for the sun-like light emitting from the site. News soon spread, and people assembled at the well, expecting to witness miracles. Finally, one of them mustered the courage to volunteer, and was lowered down into the well by a rope. He was pulled back out two hours later, in a stupefied state. When he finally collected his wits, he told the others that down in the well, he had seen a woman clad in a dress the color of apricot, alongside a book with a cross embossed on it, held aloft by two winged angels.
Father Abraham Arevian, who wrote his book on the history Ourfa in the late 19th century, states that the guardianship of the Image of Edessa site had been entrusted, from time immemorial, to the Oroug Family. They lived right outside the Kharan/Harran gate of Ourfa, in a hamlet named Keotiler. The sexton of the site was Arev Shadarevian. His duties included ensuring the proper maintenance of the site, and ensuring a constant supply of candles and incense for visitors. After Shadarevian’s death, the post was given to Suvaji Tattos, and after him, to his son Suvaji Garabed.