photograph_20161210_231601?14879

ITEM DETAILS

photograph
This view looks westward across the plateau that stretches from the bluff
Vilayet of Bitlis/Paghesh
This view looks westward across the plateau that stretches from the bluff, a 61 m. (200 ft.) drop behind the first row of trees on the left. The buildings and trees lying beyond that point sit on the opposite side of the river that surged below and where the densest section of Bitlis lay. The buildings of the American Board are as follows: The Protestant church, the single-story building with three arched windows near the center with the wall extending to the right. Behind the church and to the left is the boys’ high school, George C. Knapp Academy. Next to that is the girls' school, Mount Holyoke Girls Seminary. The Christian cemetery runs the length of the foreground. The historic fortress would be north (to the right) in the gorge below. (ABC 78.2 box 17 folder 9, Houghton Library, Harvard University. Used by permission.)
Bitlis, Turkey
1911
Houshamadyan - http://www.houshamadyan.org
photograph | genocide | Armenia | Turkey | Houshamadyan | mountains | village | vilayet
This item is shared by Silvina Der-Meguerditchian